ASTAR Scrabble Challenge International

It was indeed a gruelling 7-game tournament, being one of the hardest and experiencing the most nerve-wrecking moments. With so much of prize money at stake, it was indeed nail-biting to watch the outcome of every games. This time around, top Thai Juniors Chaiwat and Thacha payed ASCI 09 a visit coming full throttle to win the top prize. Singapore's WYSC 2007 Champion - Toh Wei Bin made a partnership with SPEC's Ian Tay while Malaysia's hope lies on top seeds; WYSC 2008 first and second runners-up, Khoo Beng Way and Ramaraj. The other tough-dough was Karl Chin and Brian Lim from SPEC, Johor. I partnered Leroy Ong (Melaka Boleh!) in hope of that RM7000. *I came in second last year with Aaron Chong*

The hall was just freakin' cold as the temperature of the centralized air-conditioned space was not controlable. Everyone was embracing themselves through the game. I was dramatically chattering! Some of the upsets include a 2-0 victory over Ramaraj and Beng Way. It came from inter-school long-lost veterans - Benjamin Ong and Sui-Jon. Beng Way also lost to Mohd Khairi, CNY Tourney 09 Intermediate runner-up. However, despite the unexpected losses, KBW and Ramaraj managed to pip Wei Bin and Ian Tay for 3rd place with an extra pinch of spread. Wei Bin and Ian was the overnight leaders until they lost 2-0 to the Thais to drop to 4th place. My team came in second behind the Thais. Well, here's my review on my games.

#Game 1
Opponent : Syahilla
I won't say much because she is still a newbie and I am pleased I played a clean game! I made a nice found in the first move hooking the R to form AIRDROME. Played 3 more bingos - FLIRTIER, DRAGONET and SORBENT.
Score : 567 - 230

#Game 2
Opponent : Ruzaini
This game I played 2 non-words but was not challenged. I got confused with ROADIST* and ROADIES. Played ROADIST* through the 4-timer. Played WEEDIEST and FATIGUE to seal the game with a huge +414 spread. He said he was too cold to think. I am too~
Score : 602 - 188

#Game 3
Opponent : Toh Wei Bin
This is where the real challenge begins. After getting enough cushion to retaliate any possible damage, I played TWB. I was struggling with bad tiles, drawing 4Is and unfriendly combinations. Was trailing all the way with him played LEAFIER and URETERS. Almost to the end, my rack was BELNPT?. Hooking the OI, I managed to find POINTABLE and BLUEPOINT but I wasn't sure of BLUEPOINT. Hastily, I played POINTABLE and it was challenged. +5! :) This game is totally his since the beginning.
Score : 353 - 450

#Game 4
Opponent : Khoo Beng Way
This is another tough cookie! Having lost to him on several occasions, I have no confident whatsoever to win. I played my normal game trying to score maximum on every move. He leapt away with COTTAGE and BAPTISE. I played a 3-timer RECLINES and played big scored with Z, X and J. A phoney by KBW cost him the game when he played HUCKED*. At that time, I was struggling with 4 annoying I s. I tried balancing my rack and scoring maximum to not fall behind. I drew the final blank and played a bingo DRIFTED to win the game by mere 8 points.
Score : 404 - 396

#Game 5
Opponent : Mohd Khairi
He scared me a little scoring huge scores in the first 5 moves before he started fishing for a bingo - TRITONE. I played DISSEND* but was not challenged. He then played a phoney LEASURER* which was challenge off. I smacked him with SINTERY(86) and COZ(56) to seal the game.
Score : 484 - 335

#Game 6
Opponent : Toh Wei Bin
First game of the repeats, we met Wei Bin again. I prayed hard that Leroy would beat Ian Tay again after a superb showing in Game 3. Again! I got really bad tiles with only one small scoring bingo STOOLIES (58). He played PURCHASE (110), SUNDIAL (85) and DOWELING (82) and won the game by a huge margin. I was worried and devastated! But Leroy managed to beat Ian again! yay!
Score : 338 - 552

#Game 7
Opponent : Karl Chin
It's the last game. It's do or DIE! At this point, there's no clear winner. Anyone had the change to have a podium finish. Karl started off with PLANETS (74) and he said sorry. I was having AEEGIU? in my rack to hastilily play EUGLENIA*(82) to reach the 4-timer. I was pretty sure but the real word is EUGENIA! Urgh.. the word was challenged off! Having the same spot blocked for EULOGIAE, I played EUGARIES (62) to open up a chance for a niner. My next move was GROOMING (82) but he smacked me back with SMELLIER (68). He then made a huge mistake by opening the board for me to fit my VAUNTIER (82) perfectly. He retaliated with TACONITE (75). At this time, the scores were even. I had a series of maximum scores AUK (35), SIX (47), DRY (43), JERID (39), ZEA (32), FEW (27) and DIVS (56). He has relatively lower scores and I won by a +71 margin. Leroy was slaugthered by Brian Lim quite badly in the last game. I was very pleased with my game.
Score : 505 - 434

Click here my gambar glamour~

Overall, me and Leroy lost 2 games each for a combined 10 points to clinch 2nd spot. Thanks Leroy for a wonderful feat! Since this is my last year in a varsity, it was good money! I should be doing my model but it's still on 2D form right now. Oh gosh, I so need a spanking right now!

*exhausted*
p/s : will update the Malacca trip in the next post.

1 scoop(s) of icecream:

Nyle said...

hey, scary words and scores you have there. glad you won! congrats!